Archives Information

from the

Museum

The Fraser-Fort George
REGIONAL MUSEUM

 

Box 1779
Prince George, British Columbia
Canada
V2L 4V7

Phone: (250) 563-1612
Fax: (250) 562-6395

email: info@museum.princegeorge.com


Introduction

The Fraser-Fort George Regional Museum Archives preserves and makes accessible collections of historical manuscripts, photographs, cartographic materials and other collections relating to the history of Prince George and the Regional District of Fraser-Fort George.

Reproduction of Materials

Not all archival materials can be reproduced due to physical condition or to legal issues. General guideline for materials that cannot be copied:

  • Fragile documents or books

  • Materials with copyright protection

  • Restricted material

  • Bound newspapers

In-house photocopy reproduction may be made of other, less sensitive materials. Photographic reproductions of the Museum's visual images collections photographs are available for non-commercial use. Please contact the Museum at the above address for more information regarding reproductions.

Some of our collections:

  • L.C. Gunn: maps, field notes, diaries (GTP surveyor) 1895 - 1946

  • Oral history transcripts

  • 7000 historical photographs and 30,000 historical negatives (W.D. West Photographic Collection, J. Simonson Collection)

  • Fort George Herald, Tribune and Citizen Newspapers 1909 - 1962

  • B.C. Land Registry - Assessment Ledgers 1919 - 1925

  • Organizational records

  • Northwood Pulp and Timber Historical Operations documents and maps

  • Photographs and manuscripts of Myron Carlos Burr (Civil Engineer) 1909 - 1914

  • Complete periodical collections including: Geological Survey of Canada, The Journal of Paleontology, the Geological Society of America Bulletin, Lethia & Paleontology

  • Diaries of local pioneers

  • 270 historical maps

  • Various directories

  • Prince George and Vicinity Cemetery Records

  • City of Prince George Collection

Acknowledgments

The Fraser-Fort George Regional Museum is operated by the Fraser-Fort George Museum Society, a non-profit society and registered charity. Construction of the Museum, which stands on the site of the original Hudson's Bay Trading Post, was funded by the National Museum. It opened in 1981 with a focus on the natural history and environment of the region as well as on science exploration.

Operation of the Museum is made possible, in part, by an annual Grant-in-aid from the Regional District of Fraser-Fort George.

Additional funding is provided by the National Archives of Canada and the Government of British Columbia.

The Museum gratefully acknowledges financial support from Northwood Pulp and Timber Ltd.

Museum programs and exhibitions are produced with assistance from Museum members, volunteers, and Museum revenue from operations, and donations from corporate sponsors and individuals.


Please visit the home page of The Fraser-Fort George Regional Museum for more information about activities and visiting the museum.