Salmon Species Identification Activity
- Print off the Species Identification Checklist.
- Link to the Department of Fisheries and Oceans
- Scroll down to the list of fish species.
- Click on Sockeye Salmon.
- Click on Colour Plates.
- Examine the colour plates of the Sockeye Salmon and use the Species Identification Checklist to check off the physical
characteristics of the Sockeye Salmon. Be sure to use the correct colour when checking off the
- Repeat for the Chum, Chinook, Coho, and Pink Salmon by clicking on Return to Chapter 1.
- If certain characteristics do not apply to some salmon species, do not check them off.
Not all characteristics will apply to every salmon species.
- Discuss different methods of observation employed by the students. Were any interesting
observations made that are not on the checklist?
- Choose two species of salmon and compare them by looking at their physical
characteristics (that you have checked off in the Species Identification Checklist).
Top of page.